[Faith ⦁ Family ⦁ Hope ⦁ Love ⦁ Life ⦁ The South ⦁ History ⦁ Theology ⦁ Philosophy ⦁ Politics ⦁ Photography ⦁ Literature ⦁ Music ⦁ Retro ⦁ Home]
{Welcome to Mine}

Friday, September 27, 2013

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas. . . ."

Dear Readers,

I know what you're thinking.... "CHRISTMAS?!" But, yes, that's what I said- CHRISTMAS!! :D I absolutely adore Christmas!! In our family- it's the biggest, most special time of the year. (Followed by the Fourth of July for a close second; but that's another post.) Anyway, our family always goes all out at Christmas. (Not in money and gifts, necessarily, but in traditions, decorations, food, activities, ect.) And I love it so much that I always get this "Christmas itch" right about the end of September/beginning of October. (For instance, right now I'm listening to Bing Crosby's dreamy voice sing White Christmas. [Which, by the way, was totally coincidence.])

Now that it's the end of September- I'm working on making Christmas presents. Whew...I got a bit of a late start to be making presents. Yarn, material, crochet hooks, knitting needles, and all sorts of items of that nature are scattered across my room. Not to mention, I'm about to start my senior Home-Ec project. (My mother said she'd give me a Home-Ec credit if I did a senior project.) So I'm also getting "geared up" to make a 50's style dress. Lots of work there....

But back to the topic- Christmas presents. (Forgive the ADD rabbit trail there.) I certainly hope I haven't
bitten off more than I can chew- I have a way of doing that. Hahaha. I'm making afghans and dish cloths and scarves and toboggans and other things that I can't put on here due to the eyes that read this blog. I'm also writing some Christmas presents. But I can't go anymore into that either. ;) The bottom line is, creativity takes a long time! ...And I really hope I have enough. Then again, time seems to be something that I have less and less of lately. :P But! I shall persevere and try to get it all done!

I'm also trying to revive the Miller Homestead tradition of sending a picture and letter from the family to our friends and family. But I'm beginning to see why it got to be too much for my mother to do when I was little. We know entirely too many people....I'm totally serious here! When you're parents have been married for 28 years, moved over 25 times, in 5 different states, and it's all been ministry related (plus the fact that my parents are extremely outgoing and have always been super popular)- that adds up to a lot of people! Not to mention all the close ministry friends we have overseas, whether they be missionaries or actually from that country, are causing me a lot of troubles with international mail. I haven't done it one time, and I'm already considering giving up. :P But whether I do that all depends on postage prices. (They're ridiculous these days!)

Also, for the first time....EVER.....I don't know what I'm going to do for my parents for Christmas. I usually have it all planned back in June/July...but this year I'm just stumped! I must think harder about this. ::makes note to self::

As Christmas approaches I'll share some of our family traditions and recipes. Perhaps, you will like some of them and adopt them for your very own. :)

The Holiday season is quickly drawing near. My mind dwells on the Christmas memories of my childhood, when the entire family lived close to my grandparents and everyone was coming and going constantly. Though I love where we live now, my heart is slightly saddened by the thought of the difference in this year- the distance and the fact that this will, most likely, be my last Christmas- full time living at home. For that reason, it is my goal to make this the most memorable Christmas of my life!

Once again as in olden days/ Happy golden days of yore/ Faithful friends who are dear to us. Will be near to us once more/ Someday soon, we all will be together/ If the Fates allow/ Until then, we'll just have to muddle through somehow/ So have yourself a merry little Christmas now. 

Always in His Arms,
-Cayla

No comments:

Post a Comment